Congratulations it's a... Blog?

Congratulations it's a... Blog? Well now that it's here I really don't know what to do with it. Guess we will see...

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

In My Dreams

I was just browsing computer parts for fun (it's fun to me) as I will do every so often. When I noticed that Newegg.com sells a 1TB SSD (as shown above). An SSD(solid state drive) is the next generation of hard drives that are just starting to become common in general users computers. The benifit of an SSD over a regular HDD(hard drive disk) is that it doesn't use physical disks to hold data and this makes it able to access data much quicker. The only down side is that the SSD is much more expensive. The most common use for an SSD is to have a small one (under 100GB) and install Windows and maybe a few of your more often used programs and all other data is stored on a much bigger HDD. Doing this will improve computer performance by a good amount especially when turning the computer on or off.

When looking into more details on this dirve I was shocked in more ways then one. First off if you have ever seen what a hard drive looks like you'll know that that doesn't look like a normal one. The most noticeable part about this one is that instead of using the standard SATA cable that regular hard drives it plugs into a PCI slot that you'll normally find a sound card, video card or any other internal peripheral. The reason why they used PCI rather than SATA is to increase the speed of the already fast drive. The other thing that was shocking was the size I hadn't heard of a SSD being so big they usually come in sizes around 100-250GB. Lastly is the price, you can buy this bad boy for only $3,750(you save over $600) and a standard HDD of this size is under $100.

So maybe when I can afford a computer that costs more than a car I'll get the equivalent of what ever is available to this when that times comes(if ever) but for now I guess I'll just be stuck drooling over it(at least for like the next 5 years or when ever this becomes low tech and is affordable.) Oh and if anyone has like $10,000 they want to spend on building a computer please please please let me build it for you it would be a dream just to touch these kinds of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment